Some examples of when a vehicle might be towed/impounded by the Hoover Police Department:
- If you have been involved in an auto accident and are carried away from the scene for medical treatment.
- If you are arrested and transported to jail.
- If you are ticketed for the Hoover Safe Streets Ordinance (Driving without a state driver's license, driving with an expired license, or driving with a license that has been suspended, revoked, etc.)
- If your vehicle has been abandoned on the roadway, causing a hazard.
An impounded vehicle will be released only to the legal registered owner of that vehicle. The legal registered owner is considered to be the person who is registered as being the owner according to State of Alabama vehicle records such as the vehicle title or vehicle registration.
Vehicle Release Procedure, Hoover Police Department
- Vehicles will only be released to the legal registered owner. Ownership must be verified by one of the following: Title, Application for Title, or Tag Receipt.
- At the time of release, the legal registered owner must provide proof of current insurance. A vehicle may not be driven in Alabama without liability insurance. Evidence of insurance must be verified by an insurance card or temporary insurance card giving dates of current coverage. If the legal registered owner cannot provide proof of insurance, the owner may have the vehicle legally towed to a location of his choice.
- Pictured Identification must be presented to verify identity of vehicle owner. Any of the following documents are acceptable: Driver's License from any US State, US outlying territory, Canada; ID card from any US State, US outlying territory, Canada; US Certificate of Naturalization; Consular ID card; Permanent Resident card; Resident Alien card; Employment Authorization card; US Military ID; US passport; foreign passport; AST-60 form.
- At the time of release, the legal registered owner must provide a valid and current driver's license.
- Current and valid driver's license from any US state or outlying possession.
- Current and valid driver's license from Canada.
- AST-60 Form if arrested for DUI (provided at time of arrest).
- If the legal registered owner has a suspended/revoked/expired driver's license, he may use that driver's license for photo ID only and will not be allowed to drive the vehicle from the premises. Only a licensed driver will be allowed to drive the towed vehicle away from the storage lot.
NOTE: Always refer to the case number above when inquiring about the report. Please call Police Records (205) 444-7739 to verify that the accident report has been completed.