As of August 2, 2015 the MINIMUM starting pay for the position of POLICE OFFICER (pay grade 19) with the City of Hoover is $21.11 per hour, or $43,908.80 annually. The maximum base rate pay is $36.56 per hour, or $76,044.80 annually.
Applicant Minimum Qualifications:
- Peace Officers Standards and Training (POST) law enforcement certified (any State)
- 21 years of age at time of application
- Possession of a valid driver's license and the ability to obtain/maintain a City of Hoover Driver's Permit
- U.S. Citizen
- Ability to pass a background check
- High school diploma or G.E.D. and meet at least one (1) of the following conditions:
- Three (3) years of full-time experience as a sworn Police Officer or related sworn position in law enforcement; OR
- Associate's Degree or equivalent credit hours AND two (2) years of full-time experience as a sworn Police Officer or related sworn position in law enforcement; OR
- Three (3) years or more of verifiable honorable active duty service in the United States Armed Forces; OR
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Criminal Justice, Public or Business Administration, Social Services, Science, Technology or a closely related field.
Applicant Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Criminal Justice, Public or Business Administration, Social Services, Science, Technology or a closely related field AND POST certification (any state) AND one (1) year or more full-time experience as a sworn Police Officer or related sworn position in law enforcement; OR
- Three (3) years or more of verifiable honorable active duty service in the United States Armed Forces with an awarded Military Police, Combat Arms (Infantry, Armor, Artillery) or Special Forces miltiary occupational specialty.
Hiring Steps for a Hoover Police Officer:
- Contact the City of Hoover's Human Resource Department at (205) 444-7549 or visit our current job openings web page to determine if the police officer position is currently posted.
- The application asks questions about your previous employment, education, POST certification, age and specialized training relevant to the position of police officer. If you meet the qualification requirements, you will receive information from Human Resources notifying you of the testing location and the testing date (AT THE TIME OF EXAMINATION, ALL APPLICANTS MUST PRESENT A VALID STATE-ISSUED DRIVER'S LICENSE. OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS MUST OBTAIN A VALID ALABAMA DRIVER'S LICENSE PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT WITH THE CITY OF HOOVER).
- Questions on the written test are designed to test basic skills such as observational ability, ability to exercise judgment and common sense, interest in police work, map reading, dealing with people, ability to read and comprehend text material, and reasoning ability. This examination will be used to establish a list of applicants who will be eligible for further consideration for employment with the Hoover Police Department.
- Those applicants who successfully pass the exam will be further screened through a physical agility test, and an evaluation of related experience and certifications.
- Final screening will include a series of interviews, a personality assessment, and a medical evaluation. This list of applicants will be valid for two (2) years from the date of examination, unless the needs of the City of Hoover dictate otherwise.
For more information, contact:
Detective David Holder