HOOVER POLICE DEPARTMENT
100 Municipal Lane
Hoover, Alabama 35216
Administration (205) 444-7700
Nicholas C. Derzis, Chief of Police
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE from the office of Chief Nicholas Derzis
Contact: Captain Gregg Rector
(205) 739-7224 Office
August, 8 2017
Back to School Safety tips
School gets back in session this week! Here are some tips to ensure a safe start to the new year
Hoover City Schools will resume fall classes on Wednesday morning, August 9th. Below are some tips that can make for the start of a safe and stress-free school year!
• Drivers, slow down! Watch for parents and kids that walk to school each day. When entering a school zone, be sure to slow down and obey all traffic laws.
• Leave early and give yourself extra time when dropping off children at school and picking them up. There will be more parents driving kids to school the first few days and carpool lines will be longer. Remember, there will be new parents at every school that are not as familiar with the drop-off routine. Be patient please!
• Carpool if possible to reduce the number of vehicles at each school. Using school buses also reduces drop-off point congestion.
• Do not text and drive and do not text while sitting in carpool lines! The safety of our kids deserve our 100% attention!
• In a school zone when flashers are blinking, stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection. Watch for crossing guards and police officers and obey their signals.
• Instruct children to only cross streets at designated crosswalks, street corners and traffic controlled intersections.
• Never pass a bus from behind – or from either direction if you're on an undivided road – if it is stopped to load or unload children. If the yellow or red lights are flashing and the stop arm is extended, traffic must stop.
• Caution teen drivers to slow down and avoid the use of cell phones while driving.
• Be patient. We expect most congestion issues to resolve after the first few days of school.
• Drive safe, eliminate distractions and let’s have a safe and wonderful school year! Welcome back parents, kids and teachers!